Monday, September 19, 2011

Sweet Home Alabama

It's Official. There is no turning back. We are moving to Birmingham.

After 10 amazing years... 4 at Auburn, 1 in Mexico and 5 in Memphis... we are returning to our roots. It is definitely bitter sweet. We love our Memphis friends who have been our extended family for the past 5 years. The thought of leaving these people almost kept us from moving at all. However, the Lord has been preparing us for this next step for a while and we know that He has a new direction for our life and the first step is moving to the Ham.

A few highlights of the past few months.... We had a feeling that our season in Memphis was coming to an end, so we started exploring opportunities to move. Then, out of nowhere, everything starting picking up speed. In 5 weeks... L got an amazing new job - both challenging and full of opportunities, L quit his old job, I thought I was quitting my job, I got rehired and allowed to work from Bham in the same role, we put our house on the market and it sold in 5 days, we got a rental in Bham because we couldn't pull the trigger on a new house that fast, and we moved everything we own 3 1/2 hours away. Whew. It has been a huge mix of emotions. L is super excited about this new stage of life and he can't wait to fix up another house. If anyone remembers the "fixer upper" (not even sure it fits in that category) we bought in Memphis... you know what we are about to get ourselves into... help! I think we learned our lesson and will not bite off so much this time. You can't camp out on the floor for 6 months with a 7 month old! :)

So, this is our last week in Memphis. We close Wednesday and move Friday. I am definitely still in disbelief - probably still in denial that this is really happening. I love my life in Memphis, but in time, I know I will learn to love Birmingham.

I am looking around at the 4 boxes left to pack, a mattress on the floor, and (no surprise) the huge TV that we couldn't pack until the last minute because we would both freak out if our shows weren't recorded... It is time. It is amazing how the Lord prepares you for moments like this. I cried for the first week - thanks Alicia for letting me be a little nutty - because I just didn't want to go. I think I was scared for lost opportunities and lost friendships. Then, I realized that this was a huge opportunity and that our wonderful, inspiring, fun Memphis friends would be friends for life. Btw, I need somewhere to stay a few days a month, so you have to still pretend to like us.

We need your prayers - sanity over the next 3-4 weeks as we settle in, an easy transition for our sweet little girl and 3 dogs, peace of mind over this huge life change, and joy as we discover a new life in a familiar city.

Birmingham, you are about to be Newellized...

1 comment:

  1. This is the day! I have been thinking of how I could find your blog ever since you accidently mentioned you had one. I have typed in over 1000 words, including this one (misspelled, of course). You are a beautiful and gifted writer and now, I get to see a glimpse of your life through your writing. Welcome back to the Ham. Brace yourself for the unexpected. I love you Katie!

    ReplyDelete