Thursday, February 9, 2012

Cruce de Columbia: Day 1

Go Team Newellicious!!!

Day 1 was definitely the most diverse day... we went 42 km or 26.2 miles. 10ish km were hiking up 1000 meters of dirty / grassy land, 10ish km were hiking through ice and snow and then hiking around an active volcano, 10ish km were getting down from the volcano in snow and rocks and the last 10ish km were running through rolling hills (thankfully, mostly down hill)!! It was our best day - finishing in the top 25% of the racers! We were hurting, but we weren't prepared for how badly we would hurt the next day when we woke up! Praise the Lord for bodies who respond when called to do it all over again for day #2!
The pictures are in reverse order because I can't figure out an easy way to fix them. So, this is after 26 miles... we had to recross a wobbly bridge to get to the finish line!

The snow was a first for both Luke and me - for running. We have both been skiing, but when you ski, you are decked out in ski gear. Trying to walk up a snowy mountain and then run for 10 km in tennis shoes was just funny. We put the walking sticks in the bag at the last minute. Thank goodness we did because there is absolutely NO WAY we could have done it without them!

I have definitely hit my "runners' high"! :)

Hello world! I wish that I could be more poetic with my posts to fully describe how beautiful it was in the Andes. We were almost to the top of the volcano here - at one of the highest points in the Andes Mountain range. The air was so crisp and the wind was moving perfectly around the mountains. Loved every second of this part of the race!

This is right as the race was beginning. We just crossed the wobbly bridge and I want headed to the start line. I can honestly say that I had no idea what I was getting myself into at this point. I am carrying about 8 lbs of stuff with me. Needless to say I didn't bother with all of the accessories on days 2 or 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment